March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month. This month is dedicated to bringing awareness to common household products that are dangerous to our pets. It may not seem difficult to keep hazards away from your fur-babies but danger could be lurking without you even knowing it. Not to mention accidents happen- spills, dropped pills, and even beautiful flower arrangements can spell disaster for dogs and cats if they're consumed.
Five of the most common pet poisons include:
- Plants (aloe, lilies, etc)
- Medications (ibuprofen, cold medicine, etc)
- Human foods (chocolate, onions, etc)
- Household chemicals (cleaners, paint, etc)
- Garden products (fertilizers, insecticides, etc)
Poisoned pets may show symptoms ranging from mild to severe. Symptoms will depend on what and how much of a toxic material your pet has ingested.
Call your veterinarian if your pet displays any of the following symptoms:
- Vomiting or diarrhea (especially if you notice blood)
- Excessive drooling
- Anorexia (lack of appetite)
- Pale gums
- Seizure or tremors
We recommend the following informational sites as resources for pet parents:
If you are concerned your pet has ingested something toxic please take immediate action. Call ASPCA's Poison Control Center and/or consult your vet.
ASPCA phone: 888-426-4435
Blog: Meghan Lauro